The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has ordered for the interdiction of a national security officer who allegedly attacked a soldier in traffic last week (25 November).
The incident occurred at the Ashaiman Tulaku section of the Tema-Akosombo Highway, according to multiple media reports.
The Senior Non-Commissioned Officer, WO1 Mashud Salia, was physically assaulted and handcuffed while in uniform by some national security officers over his inability to give way to a convoy of four vehicles, The Chronicle newspaper reported.
In a statement, the Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, said following the incident, President Akufo-Addo has instructed the Ministry responsible for National Security to interdict with immediate effect the national security officer, Gerard Nana Osei-Tutu.
The statement said the Ministry had also commenced a full investigation into the incident.
Meanwhile, the military high command has condemned the act, serving notice all the culprits will be dealt with after investigations.
“The attention of the Military High Command has been drawn to an unfortunate incident which occurred on Wednesday 25 November 2020 around Tulaku Junction, on the Ashaiman- Akosombo highway, in which a Warrant Officer (WOI Mashud Salia) was assaulted by some plain-clothed personnel of the National Signal Bureau. This bizarre incident has been roundly condemned by both the Ministry of Defence and the Military High Command. The Sector Ministry of National Security has also, in a similar vein, condemned the actions of the personnel involved.
“As a first step toward redressing the problem, the Deputy National Security Minister, Hon Henry Quartey and the Chief of the Defence Staff, Lt Gen OB Akwa, have at an emergency durbar conveyed the sentiment of the two Ministries and rendered an unqualified apology to the said Warrant Officer and by extension to the Ghana Armed Forces.
“This durbar was held at Michel Camp, Tema on Saturday 28 November 2020 with troops of 1 Bn. All ranks have been assured that the matter is being thoroughly investigated and anyone found culpable would be dealt with in accordance with the law,” the statement signed by the Director of Public Relations, Colonel Aggrey Quarshie, said.
“It is reiterated that the ongoing investigations will be pursued vigorously and sanctions meted out as appropriate. In the meantime, All Ranks have been urged to exhibit their usual sense of professionalism and tackle all duties with the same level of maturity.”