GhanaHealthNews

Korle Bu: No fire at Maternity Block

The country's premier hospital has allayed fears its maternity block caught fire Tuesday evening

The Korle Bu Teaching Hospital has refuted claims that went viral on social media suggesting the maternity block caught fire on Tuesday.

A statement issued by the Public Relations Officer of Korle Bu, Mustapha Salifu, said there was an emission from the switch of an air conditioner which was immediately extinguished.

“The Maternity Block of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH) is not on fire as being alleged on social media. What happened was an air-conditioner switch in one of the restrooms of the doctors started emitting smoke which was detected by staff on duty at around 9pm yesterday,” the statement said.

It added: “The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).  As a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.”

The statement further said there were no casualties, adding normal operations have resumed after initial assessment by the Ghana Fire Service.

“We wish to state, no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service.”

Fred Dzakpata

Asaase Radio 99.5 – tune in or log on to broadcasts online
Follow us on Twitter: @asaaseradio995
#asaaseradio
#TVOL

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button